This page lists the publications of Dr. Torbjørn H. Netland (in English). Please, get in touch if the publication you have interest in is not accessible for download. For additional publications in Norwegian, please visit this page.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Bjørgum, Ø., & Netland, T. H. (2016) Configuration of supply chains in emerging industries: A multiple-case study in the wave-and-tidal energy industry. International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, Forthcoming. Download PDF.
- Netland, T. H. & Ferdows, K. (2016) The S-curve effect of lean implementation, Production and Operations Management, Vol 25. Iss 6, pp. 1106-1120. doi: 10.1111/poms.12539.
- Netland, T. H. (2016) Critical success factors for implementing lean production: the effect of contingencies. International Journal of Production Research. Vol. 54, Iss. 8, pp. 2433-2448. doi: 10.1080/00207543.2015.1096976. Download PDF.
- Netland, T. H., Schloetzer, J.D. & Ferdows, K. (2015) Implementing corporate lean programs: The effect of management control practices. Journal of Operations Management, Vol. 36, In press. Download PDF.
- Netland, T. H., Ferdows, K. & Sanchez, E. (2014) How Company-Specific Production Systems Affect Plant Performance: The S-Curve Theory (Extended Abstract). Production and Operations Management. Vol 24. Iss 3, pp. 362-364.
- Netland, T. H., & Ferdows, K. (2014) What to Expect From a Corporate Lean Program. MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 55, Iss. 3, pp. 83-89.
- Netland, T. H. & Sanchez, E. (2014) Investigating the effects of a corporate improvement programme on global quality performance: The case of the Volvo Production System. The TQM Journal, Vol. 26, Iss. 2., pp.188-201. Download PDF.
- Netland, T. H. & Aspelund, A. (2014) Multi-plant improvement programmes: A literature review and research agenda. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 34, Iss. 3., pp.390-418. Download PDF.
- Netland, T. H. & Aspelund, A. (2013) Company-specific Production Systems and Competitive Advantage: A resource-based view on the Volvo Production System. International Journal of Operations & Production Management. Vol. 33. Iss. 11/12. pp.1511-1531. Download PDF.
- Netland, T.H., (2013) Exploring the phenomenon of company-specific Production Systems: One-best-way or own-best-way? International Journal of Production Research, Vol 51. Iss. 4, pp. 1084-1097. Download PDF.
- Netland, T. H. (2012) Managing strategic improvement programs: the XPS program management framework. Journal of Project, Program and Portfolio Management, Vol 3, Iss. 1. pp. 31-44. Download PDF.
- Netland, T. H. & Alfnes, E. (2011) Proposing a quick best practice maturity test for supply chain operations. Measuring Business Excellence, Vol 15, Iss. 1, pp. 66-76. Download PDF.
- Netland, T. H. & Powell, D. (eds.) (2016) The Routledge Companion to Lean Management, Forthcoming 2016
- Netland, T. H. (2013) Company-specific production systems: Managing production improvement in global firms. Doctoral Thesis at NTNU, 2013:340, Printed by NTNU-trykk, Trondheim. ISBN 978-82-471-4822-8
- Netland, T. H. (2016). Lean corporations. In T. H. Netland & D. J. Powell (Eds.), The Routledge Companion to Lean Management: Routledge. Ch 22. Forthcoming.
- Netland, T. H. & Powell, D.J. (2016). A Lean World. In T. H. Netland & D. J. Powell (Eds.), The Routledge Companion to Lean Management: Routledge. Ch 40. Forthcoming.
- Netland, T. H., & Frick, J. (2016). Trends in manufacturing strategies: A longitudinal investigation of the International Manufacturing Strategy Survey. In A. Chiarini, A. Vecchi & L. Brennan (Eds.), International manufacturing strategy in a tme of great flux: Springer. Chapter 1, p. 1-16.
- Netland, T. H. (2014) Coordinating Production Improvement in International Production Networks: What’s new? In J. Johansen, S. Farooq, & Y. Cheng (Eds.), International Operations Networks. Aalborg, Denmark: Center for Industrial Production, Springer, pp 19-132. Download PDF.
- Mediavilla, M. & Netland, T. H. (2013) Multisite Network Configuration and Improvement. In Opacua Errasti, A. (Ed.) Global Production Networks: Operations Design and Management. 2 ed., CRC Press. Chapter 5. Preview at CRC Press.
Popular science writings
- Netland, T. H. (2015) 5S – we are doing it wrong, Lean Management Journal, Vol 5, Iss. 9/10, pp. 9-11/18-20.
- Netland (2015) Lean child o’mine: A Norwegian primary school is experimenting with the use of lean management principles to improve both learning and teaching, Planet Lean – The Lean Global Network Journal. Online publication. (Top-10 popular posts 2015)
- Netland, T. H. (2015) Industry 4.0: Where does it leave lean? Lean Management Journal, Vol. 5, Iss. 2, p. 22-23.
- Netland, T. H. (2014) Doing good things better. Introduction to special issue on Lean in charities. Lean Management Journal, Vol. 4, Iss. 10, p. 6.
- Netland, T. H. (2014) The Word from the Top: Factory Response to a Corporate Lean Program. Lean Management Journal, Vol. 4, Iss. 4, p. 30.
- Sanchez, E. & Netland, T. H. (2013) Lean assessments; are they needed? Lean Management Journal, Vol. 3, Iss. 8, p. 6.
- Netland, T.H. (2013) Using Program Management Theory to manage global process improvement programs, Project Management Institute, Organizational Project Management Community of Practice, Thought Leaders Series – Featured SME: Torbjørn Netland, 6th February 2013.
- Netland, T. & Sanchez, E., (2012) People at the wheel – Volvo’s lean journey, Lean Management Journal, Vol. 2, Iss. March, pp. 35-36.
For additional publications in Norwegian, please see this page.